Saturday, October 2, 2010

Rent or Everybody Must Get Aids!

Title: Rent
Rating: PG-13
Released: 2005
Format: DVD
Version: 2 disc Special Edition
Run Time:  2 Hr. 15 Min
Purchased: Scarecrow Video
Price: $4



Plot according to imdb: This rock opera tells the story of one year in the life of a group of bohemians struggling in modern day East Village New York. The story centers around Mark and Roger, two roommates. While a former tragedy has made Roger numb to life, Mark tries to capture it through his attempts to make a film. In the year that follows, the group deals with love, loss, AIDS, and modern day life in one truly powerful story.

Plot according to Allen:  a group of friends in New York deal with being gay, and/or having Aids all while constantly singing about it.  Their thoughts on life and love all change for the better when they meet free spirited drag queen Angel.

So as a straight male I'm not supposed to like musicals.  I'm especially not supposed to enjoy musicals that focus so intently homosexually charged as this movie and it's preceding Broadway show.  However it is the underlying message of Rent that I absolutely love.  Yes there are gay characters, but really they are just really normal people going through problems.  They could be animated asexual dogs and it really wouldn't be much different.  Yes there is the flamboyant and fabulous Angel  but instead of turning all the gay characters into a musical version of "The Birdcage" they are for the most part just like homosexuals actually are - NORMAL.

As I mentioned earlier there really is a beautiful message to this movie.  It is one that can apply to everyone.  Live your life for every moment may be your last.  It's important to go out remember that there is no day but today and if you spend your entire life worrying about the problems in your life you will miss out on all of the beauty around you.  Now let's be honest who doesn't need that reminder from time to time?

As a fan of the original show I paid extra attention to the music and I was generally pleased with the way they were done for the film adaptation.  As with everyone who has ever talked about this show I think my favorite songs were "Seasons of Love" and "No Day But Today", but at the same time there really is no bad song in this soundtrack, which there usually is at least one dud in a musical.

As with most musicals the goofy conversation turns to singing and dancing comes across a little silly but considering it's a musical you would have to be stupid to not expect that.  The ending comes across a little cheesy and a bit of a cop out to have a happy ending in a movie full of depressing and serious subject matter but again I can forgive that because in general the characters motivations and ideals are there and you can understand why it would happen the way it did.

So this isn't really a movie that I would watch on a regular basis, but when the mood strikes to listen to some catchy songs and be reminded that if people can be happy in the face of eviction, and AIDS then my problems are minuscule and I have no reason not to smile.

Final Rating: 3.5 out of 5

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this movie/musical. Almost all of the actors in the movie are from the original Broadway cast, which is why the music is still good. I personally really love "Will I" and "Finale." I saw the show in New York a couple of years ago, and they definitely toned it down a bit for the movie to keep it PG-13. Still very, very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Will I, too. Also, "Yes there are gay characters, but really they are just really normal people going through problems." Wow, Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why that comment deserved a "wow" but I am taking it as a good thing.

    ReplyDelete